DEL MAR, CA — Blast off to the 2012 San Diego County Fair June 8 through July 4! The San Diego County Fair, presented by Albertsons/Sav-on, promises to be an “Out Of This World” experience featuring man’s fascination with the world of outer space and the wonder of the universe, as well as the fun and imaginative world of science fiction.
The “Out Of This World” Theme Exhibit, sponsored by Jeffrey Scott Fine Magnetics, will have images to captivate and countdowns to anticipate. Do some star “gazing,” take a “walk on the moon,” and visit a UFO. Here’s what to look forward to:
- The Mars Rover, Curiosity, will land on the red planet this August. Experience the countdown and watch the simulated landing as scientists at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory believe it will happen.
- Relive the Apollo Space program; look back on the moonwalkers and the Astronaut Hall Of Fame.
- Learn about NASA’s Space Centers; explore the Space Shuttle program, compliments of the Johnson Space Center.
- Find out the latest on NASA TV and journey to the Moon, to Mars and the edge of the universe in our mini-theater.
- “Step” on the moon and have your photo taken with Earth as the backdrop.
- Open your mind to UFOs! The most notable events of UFOlogy are on display – including Roswell, the mystery of Area 51, and more.
- The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center, San Diego Air and Space Museum, and the Palomar College Planetarium will have special exhibits exploring the marvels of our galaxy.
- It fell from the heavens. An actual meteor will be on display.
- Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be an astronaut? “Wild Science” is an area of interactive play which will give you an idea of the challenges that astronauts endure in space travel.
- What does your cellular phone, a cordless drill, and the gel inserts in your shoe have in common? They were first developed for the space program. You’ll be amazed by the everyday products and devices that have “Out Of This World” origins.
- Stargaze and view the incredible images taken by the Hubble telescope.
- Oceanside Photo and Telescope will help you “view” the stars, and beyond. See what’s going on in our universe through Google Sky and NASA’s Eye on the Earth.
Curiosities abound at Area Fifty-Fun! Enter the realm of science fiction, UFOs and other evidence of life beyond earth out in the infield at Area Fifty-Fun. Experience the unexplained and unexplored. The sky’s the limit.
- Can anybody explain “crop circles,” the Bermuda Triangle, and the Nazca Lines? There are unexplained phenomena, or “things that don’t fit.” Explore the mystery of the Easter Island statues, Stonehenge, and the Egyptian Pyramids.
- What does the Mayan Calendar actually mean? Just what is predicted to happen on December 21, 2012?
- The OTW Learning Lab will feature “researchers” gaining insight on life forms in our galaxy. Look for tongue-in-cheek fun and amazing creatures to discover.
- See the influence of space travel on pop culture. You’ll find wacky, weird, and fun collectibles from TV, movies and fashion on display.
- Visit an “alien crash site” with “Out Of This World” antics.
Every day at the Fair will be filled with discovery and the mystery of the outer limits. Be sure to join us for some serious space science and some outer space fanatical fun as the 2012 San Diego County Fair is “Out Of This World.”
The 2012 San Diego County Fair will run for 24 days opening Friday, June 8, to Wednesday, July 4. The Fair will be closed Mondays except July 2.
Gates open daily at 11 a.m., Tuesdays through Fridays, and 10 a.m., Saturdays, Sundays, and Monday July 2. Admission is $13 for adults; $7 for ages 6-12 and 62 and older; free for ages 5 and younger.
For more information about the fair go to the Fair website, www.sdfair.com. Facebook fans will find the Fair at www.facebook.com/sdfair. Twitter fans can get updates and special offers at twitter.com/sdfair and those on the go can use the Fairgrounds mobile phone website at m.sdfair.com. (EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: The mobile phone link only works when used on a mobile phone)
The San Diego County Fair is the largest annual event in San Diego County and the sixth largest fair in the United States, drawing more than 1.4 million visitors annually. The 2011 Fair broke an all-time attendance record for the third year in a row with a grand total of 1,412,113 guests.
The 22nd District Agricultural Association is a State of California agency that owns and operates the Del Mar Fairgrounds, Surfside Race Place, Horsepark Equestrian Center and the Del Mar Golf Center. The 22nd DAA produces five events each year: The San Diego County Fair, the Del Mar National Horse Show, Professional Bull Riding (PBR), The Scream Zone and Holiday of Lights. The Fairgrounds hosts more than 350 events annually, the largest of which is the live horse racing meet each summer, which is operated by the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club for the 22nd DAA and the State of California. For more information on the Fairgrounds, visit www.delmarfairgrounds.com.